Community Learning and Development
The GCVS Community Learning & Development (CLD) Team provides a free tailored guidance and support service to staff (paid and unpaid) working with communities in Glasgow. We are keen to work with anyone with an interest in developing provision in the city, including new organisations and potential partners. Our service includes; an information sharing portal, networking sessions, regular E-newsletters and practitioners’ development opportunities. As an active partner in Glasgow’s Learning, the strategic grouping that guides CLD throughout the city, we can introduce you to this partnership with its potential for learners’ opportunities, referral routes, the development of learner and practitioner ‘voice’ and collaborative working. Our interests and priorities include wider CLD, Adult Literacy and Numeracy (ALN), English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and digital learning. Our target groups include staff working with vulnerable people & families, young people, criminal justice, ‘Thriving Places’ and the North West Learning Partnership. We are keen to engage with partners who share any of these particular priorities with us.
Our offer to you
- Bespoke awareness raising sessions for staff and/or potential learners
- Staff Training Programme
- Upskilling your knowledge of learners’ opportunities and referral pathways
- Upskilling your knowledge of the CLD Regulations and Glasgow’s CLD Plan
- Facilitating learners’ and practitioners’ ‘Voice’ through communications & networking
- A “critical friend” – informal and accessible support and CLD expertise available
- Providers’ Network to keep up to date with local, city wide and national initiatives
- Swap Shop sessions for informal practice sharing with colleagues
- Monthly E-Bulletin updates
- Development sessions to upskill staff in providing additional support for learning. These can be delivered within your own organisation:
- Dyslexia Awareness
- Dyslexia Friendly Practice & ICT
- Please see Dyslexia Support above for more details on the support we help provide for Dyslexia in Glasgow
- Working Memory
- Measuring the Impact of Your Work
- Engagement with potential partners for collaboration
Professional Development Programme
Details of our CLD professional development programme are available on the GCVS What’s On page. Click here to see details and book.
Subscribe to GCVS Newsletters and select ‘Community Learning & Development’ to receive a monthly email of national and local updates that impact literacy, numeracy and wider community learning & development (CLD) work.
- Dyslexia Awareness Event - Positive About Dyslexia
- Training & Events - June 2017
- Training & Events - May 2017
- Dyslexia Support in Glasgow
- CLD Learners' Party
- Training & Events Jan-March 2017
- Information Bulletin - October 2018
- Information Bulletin - September 2018
- Information Bulletin - August 2018
- Information Bulletin - July 2018
- Information Bulletin - June 2018
- Information Bulletin - May 2018
- Information Bulletin - April 2018
- Information Bulletin - March 2018
- Information Bulletin - February 2018
- Information Bulletin - January 2018
- Information Bulletin - December 2017
- Information Bulletin - November 2017
- Information Bulletin - October 2017
- Information Bulletin - September 2017
- Information Bulletin - August 2017
- Information Bulletin - July 2017
- Information Bulletin - June 2017
- Information Bulletin - May 2017
- Information Bulletin - April 2017
- Information Bulletin - March 2017
- Resources Round-Up October 2018
- Resources Round-Up September 2018
- Resources Round-Up August 2018
- Resources Round-Up July 2018
- Resources Round-Up June 2018
- Resources Round-Up May 2018
- Resources Round-Up April 2018
- Resources Round-Up March 2018
- Resources Round-Up February 2018
- Resources Round Up January 2018
See below for information and resources related to CLD meetings and events:
North West Learning Partnership
North West Learning Partnership
The North West Learning Partnership (NWLP) was formed as a bottom-up response from adult learning providers in the North West of Glasgow. Launched in June 2015, it aims to create clearer pathways and improved referrals for adult learners. The partnership provides networking and information sharing. During the first year, it hopes to create a clear picture of what’s on offer to learners in the North West. We are always open to new partners with an interest in adult learning in NW Glasgow.
Minutes, shared resources and papers from the North West Learning Partnership can be found above in Event Materials.
GCVS chair and provide support to the North West Learning Partnership, so contact Sallie or Karen for further details.
What Is Dyslexia?
The Oxford Dictionary defines dyslexia as: “A general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence.” However, we feel that a more fitting definition would be one used by the British Dyslexia Association in 2014 – that dyslexia is a learning difference, a combination of strengths and weaknesses which affect the learning process in reading, spelling, writing and sometimes numeracy. If you are an adult with dyslexia, or a learning provider in Glasgow, you can get support with this through Glasgow’s Learning. See below for videos from the CLD team on Dyslexia Support available through GCVS, as well as their definition of dyslexia. Plus hear from Dyslexia Action, Glasgow Clyde College and City of Glasgow College! Organisations involved in Glasgow’s Learning include:
Sallie Condy Community Learning and Development (CLD) Service Coordinator Tel: 0141 354 6508 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Armstrong Community Learning and Development (CLD) Service Worker Tel: 0141 354 6509 Email: email@example.com
Please note that the Skye and Lochalsh CVO Community Toolkit has now come to an end. A static version was created in March 2018.
Sign up to receive updates
The staff at GCVS produce a range of newsletters and bulletins to support the various projects and services that we deliver, sign up here!