Challenge Poverty Week has been coordinated by the Poverty Alliance for the last seven years, and it is an opportunity to highlight what is being done to address poverty and to commit to more action in the future. Last year nearly 200 events were organised by organisations, individuals and elected representatives as part of Challenge Poverty Week. You can find an activity toolkit here to give you some ideas of how to get involved, and examples of past activities here.
In a just and compassionate society, it’s simply not right that so many people are trapped in the grip of poverty. Poverty puts people in impossible situations – like having to choose between heating their home or paying their rent. Challenge Poverty Week is designed to highlight the growing problem of poverty in Scotland and showcase the solutions we can all get behind.
The key messages for this year’s Challenge Poverty Week are:
Challenge Poverty in Scotland? Aye, we can!
- Poverty exists in Scotland and affects us all
- Poverty can be solved by boosting incomes and reducing costs
- Solving poverty is about ensuring we can all participate in society
How can we help you?
- Promote your activity through local media, social media and our event calendar
- Provide free training on media and how to build support for the solutions to poverty
- Give individualised advice: email Irene at email@example.com
- Provide social media graphics, media templates and petition letters (find them here)
Challenge Poverty Week is a real, practical opportunity to build a stronger movement against poverty and demonstrate our values of justice and compassion. At a time when life is becoming tougher for many people, it is vital that we build support for solving poverty.
We would be happy to discuss with you how you can get involved in the week. Please get in touch to arrange a discussion. We look forward to working with you on this important initiative.