We have been asked to share the following information with our members and the wider third sector in Glasgow on the development of Glasgow City Council’s Action Plan on the Open Government Partnership initiative.
Glasgow City Council was accepted as a member of the Open Government Partnership in October 2020 and since this time has been working on developing an Action Plan to take forward the aims of this work.
The Open Government Partnership is an international initiative which promotes government bodies being more open to the people and organisations they serve. This is done by:
- giving the public information about the decisions it makes;
- supporting people to understand and influence those decisions; and
- valuing and encouraging accountability for what it does which means taking responsibility for the decisions it makes.
Following initial consultation with a number of participants who represent a range of interests in Glasgow, the following themes were identified as important in how we progress our membership:
- make information around decisions more easily available to all those interested in the outcome;
- involve individuals/communities/organisations during the process of decision making; and
- make it more clear why decisions are made and where the responsibility for them lies.
In order that we can plan and develop current initiatives to meet these aspirations, we have arranged two sessions which will demonstrate areas of developing work that we hope can meet these themes. Sessions will last no longer than 90 minutes and involve participants providing feedback on the demonstrations made in order that we can build these into their continued development.
The two sessions will be hosted on Microsoft Teams on the following dates:
- Thursday 30 September 2021 beginning at 2pm
- Friday 1 October 2021 beginning at 2pm
If you would like to be involved in either of these sessions or wish further information on Glasgow’s Open Government Partnership work then please contact Alan Speirs.
Corporate Policy Officer
Chief Executive Department