The UK Government’s Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund to create hundreds of thousands of high-quality 6 month fully subsidised work placements for young people. We know that third sector organisations will want to help young people to get into paid employment. GCVS can support you to get involved.
Kickstart will provide 100% of the costs to employ a young person (16-24 year old at risk of long term unemployment) for a 6-month job placement. The funding covers a 25 hour week at National Minimum Wage. The scheme will also provide additional funding for management costs and for training to support the young person move into sustained employment.
Any organisation, regardless of size, can apply for funding, and there is no limit on the number of 6 month job placements you can request. If your organisation is able to offer a minimum of 30 job placements, you can apply directly to DWP.
However, if you prefer, or if your offer is on a smaller scale you can alternatively apply via GCVS. We want to hear from you if you can offer one or more job placements.
The job placements created with Kickstart funding must be new jobs. The roles you are applying for should:
- be for a minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months
- be paid at least the National Minimum Wage for their age group
- not require people to undertake extensive training before they begin the job placement
- help the participants to develop their skills and experience, including:
- support to look for long-term work, including career advice and setting goals
- support with CV and interview preparations
- supporting the participant with basic skills, such as attendance, timekeeping and teamwork
We will encourage organisations applying through GCVS to:
- Top up wages to the Glasgow Living Wage
- Consider applicants with disabilities and from diverse backgrounds
- Consider applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Seek to create long-term posts where ever possible
For more information on the Kickstart scheme and job placement criteria, please see the UK Government Kickstart Information
Young people can find out about the Kickstart scheme from Job Centre Plus
For more information on the GCVS Kickstart Scheme, see our Kickstart presentation
We have also produced a Kickstart – FAQ (1)
If you would like to get involved please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for our second application will open in the new year.
We plan to offer a menu of training that organisations can access to support their participants through their Kickstart Placement.
If your organisation would like to offer training and support to other organisations, please complete the registration form and add details of the training and support that you can offer.