Do you have recent experience of supporting people through the Housing Benefit Appeals process? Have you experienced difficulties with the process? Then please let us know.
- Housing Benefit Appeals in Glasgow seem to be taking an awful long time to go through the Reconsideration and Appeals Process – in some cases over a year.
- Decisions that are overturned in favour of the claimant don’t always quote the legislation, which makes it difficult for Advisors to understand why the appeal has been successful.
- The longer the appeal goes on the more precarious the claimant’s tenancy can become – resulting in stress, worry and anxiety for the tenant.
What We Know:
- This is happening in one particular area of Glasgow
- The problem seems to be related to the complexity of the case – the more complex, the longer it takes.
What We Need:
- To find out if this is a problem across the city?
- More information on what are the implications are for services and those they are supporting?
What We’ll Do:
- Build an evidence base of the issues arising across the city
- Report the evidence to Glasgow City Council Benefit & Revenue Team & Welfare Reform Area Development Group
- Work with Third and Public Sector Partners to identify and implement solutions
- Report back on progress