The Business Support Fund is a Scottish Government programme of grants distributed via local authorities to support the economy during the coronavirus outbreak. We can now confirm that these grants are open to charities and voluntary organisations. Previous guidance suggested that this might not be the case.
To qualify for any of these grants you must have:
- Been occupying the premises on the 17th March 2020
- Be the registered payer of non-domestic rates for the premises (even if you have rates relief that means you don’t have to pay any).
To understand what grants you are eligible for you will need to know the rateable value of your premises. You can find this on the annual rates bill you receive from Glasgow City Council or via the Scottish Assessors website https://www.saa.gov.uk/
There are two key grants under the fund:
Small Business Support Grant
This is a £10,000 grant for your first premises and a £7,500 grant for each subsequent premises providing:
- You were claiming the Small Business Bonus Scheme, OR
- You would have been eligible for the Small Business Bonus Scheme but were instead claiming Nursery Relief, Disabled Relief, Business Growth Accelerator, Discretionary Sports Relief, Enterprise Areas Relief, Fresh Start Relief or Charitable Rate Relief
The most common Rates Relief in the third sector are Discretionary Sports Relief and Charitable Rates Relief. Please remember it is not enough to be claiming these types of relief – you must also be eligible for the Small Business Bonus Scheme to qualify for this grant.
To be eligible for the Small Business Bonus Scheme:
- You must be the non-domestic ratepayer for at least one premises with a rateable value of £18,000 or less, and
- the total rateable value of all your premises must be £35,000 or less.
NOTE: Organisations that have multiple premises used for retail, hospitality and leisure where the individual premises have a rateable value of under £18,000 each, and the total rateable value of all of their premises is between £35,001-£51,000 are now able to apply for this grant for each of their retail, hospitality and leisure premises.
Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant
This is a £25,000 grant for the first premises and a £18,750 for each subsequent premises where the rateable value for the premises is between £18,001 and £50,999 and the property is used for retail, hospitality or leisure.
You do not need to be eligible for any existing relief to qualify for this grant. The only criteria is that you were the ratepayer for the premises on the 17th March 2020 and the premises were being used for retail, hospitality or leisure purposes on that date.
To apply for any of these funds visit the following online application. Please note that this may indicate that it is only for organisations with multiple premises but this is the correct form: https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/businesssupportfund